Find your roots
Who We Are
The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) through independent third-party certification.
We work throughout the entire forest supply chain to promote good practice in the forest and to ensure that timber and non-timber forest products are produced with respect for the highest ecological, social and ethical standards. Thanks to our eco-label, customers and consumers are able to identify products from sustainably managed forests.
As an umbrella organization, we work by endorsing national forest certification systems developed through multi-stakeholder processes and tailored to local priorities and conditions.
With 43 endorsed national certification systems and over 300 million hectares of certified forests, PEFC is the world's largest forest certification system.
Thus PEFC Germany is a national PEFC member organisation and focusses all those interests for Germany.
- We are a global federal alliance of national standards setters and international stakeholders committed to safeguarding forests, forest reliant ecosystems, and forest dependent populations for the benefits of all. We achieve this through a voluntary, consensus driven bottom up approach to sustainable forest management.
- We provide interactive mechanisms and tools to promote and communicate about sustainable forest management with the users of forests, consumers of forest based products, and society as a whole.
- We believe that sustainable forest management can only be achieved by, respecting cultures and identity of people, sovereignty, empowering local stakeholders and contributing to the livelihood of forest-dependent people, communities and workers.
Our Core Values
- Respect for all forest ownership structures, and the social, cultural, environmental and economic values they provide.
- Respect for the social infrastructures of forest based communities.
- Belief in co-operation, openness and transparency.
- Respect for the tenets of federalism.
- Belief in free and fair market systems.
- Belief in multi-stakeholder participation.
- Commitment to excellence and continuous improvement.